Friday, February 24, 2017

Thumbs & Slices

After the total and complete disaster of the Fikonrutor recipe I admit I wanted to throw in the towel.  Is it really worth it to work my way through the Fika cookbook?  I felt very discouraged.  Then I turned the page.  I turned the page to the next recipe of Jam Thumbprint Cookies (syltgrottor) and since it was the week of Valentine's Day I thought this would be a fitting cookie with it's slight licorice flavour and sweet raspberry jam.  


The recipe for syltgrottor makes only 24 large thumbprint cookies in mini cupcake papers.  I even had pink heart papers already stashed in my pantry which I had at one time purchased at Dollar Tree.  The recipe found on page 41 of the Fika cookbook went pretty much as directed except I once again found the dough not wanting to come together enough so that I could form balls with the dough.  I did have to add a little bit of water to be able to work the dough properly.  I'm not totally sure why this happens.  Are the measurements off or is it just a difference in Canadian to Swedish products?  Who knows, but the addition of water worked and I was able to form the dough into balls and form the thumbprint.


This recipe is a fairly simple recipe and quick to make.  Hubby and I were on the fence about the anise seed flavouring.  The licorice flavour from the anise seed matched well with the raspberry and it's not something I would have normally been drawn to which I like.  The whole reason I decided to embark on making all the fika recipes was to do and try different things.  That being said, if I was wanting to make a thumbprint cookie I probably would not turn to this exact recipe again.  That doesn't mean it doesn't taste good or it didn't turn out...I just mean that there are better recipes available and I'd most likely turn to those instead.

Having gained confidence from the syltgrottor recipe turning out I also made Martas Skurna Chokladkakor.  Who Marta is I don't exactly know but two things are for sure....1) Marta knows how to make great smelling cookies and 2) Marta likes chocolate.  Translated these are basically Sliced Chocolate Cookies.  This recipe makes 48 cookies and is the most successful turnout of a cookie recipe in this Fika book.


The recipe says that this cookie is traditionally topped with pearl sugar.  I didn't feel that a special trip to Bulk Barn was in order and rummaged around in my pantry for decorative sugars.  I came up with either red or green Christmas sugars.  As much as I love green, I felt that green on a chocolate cookie wouldn't display as the prettiest cookie so I went with red.  Two other changes I made this time was that instead of the cane sugar which I was also out of, I just used regular sugar AND instead of mixing by hand I used my Kitchen Aid mixer to combine all the ingredients.  I honestly think the mixer alone is what made this dough so workable.

The dough is shaped into long logs then brushed with egg and sprinkled with (red) sugar.  I had a picture of this process but have omitted it because once I looked again and as proud as I am of the accomplishment it does not look appetizing in the slightest. 😝  The logs baked perfectly in my hottish oven at slightly under the 400 degrees it states and indeed baked for 15 minutes.  While warm they get sliced into cookies and I used my Cake Boss dough scraper which I received free once when purchasing Keurig coffee cups.


The chocolate cookies taste similar to a brownie and are crisp on the outside but tender on the inside.  I know Hubby likes them because he's enjoyed most of them.  Now I'm looking forward to the next recipe which is very similar but almond flavoured.  Will it turn out as well?  You'll have to stay tuned to see if this Swedish baker in training makes it all work out!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment