Saturday, January 6, 2018

Hazelnut Crisps

It's January and now that Christmas is done with I've gotten back into the spirit of baking. I did get a new Swedish cookbook for Christmas but the majority of that one deals with savory items so I pulled out my fika book once again and lo and behold I had left off at a very tempting recipe. Hasselnotsflarn.  I suspect hasselnots are hazelnuts while flarn is likely crisps, (unlike my own translation of: it's a hassle to redo the recipe when you make a flop of it) at any rate, that's what the recipe is...Hazelnut Crisps.


What they shouldn't look like! Too big & a little burnt!
Yes you saw correctly...my first attempt didn't go very well. One thing I had forgotten was that these recipes tend to use double the butter that is truly needed and for another, Europeans tend to eat smaller portions than we do over here in Canada where the bigger things are the better.  So the first batch were measured wrong and spread out all over the baking sheet and yet they turned out pretty tasty which is why I decided to whip up another batch.

If you are a fan of Lacey's cookies which are usually purchased at Costco then you'd also likely love these because they are a similar cookie.  If you can't have wheat flour for a medical condition then you should be all over this recipe because it doesn't use any flour whatsoever so it's completely gluten free.  If you like something relatively easy then try it out.

Before Christmas I saw Costco had Oregon Hazelnuts so that's where I sought out my hazelnuts but, they were gone and in their place was just regular hazelnuts. I had read somewhere that Oregon produces the best but I'd have to wait to compare another time.  They come in a large bag but I noticed a few other recipes using hazelnuts so not to worry.  Also Hubby tends to like nuts for a snack so they will get used.  Most recipes in this book call for Cane Sugar which I buy at Bulk Barn.  I don't think it really makes a big difference except the cane sugar has larger granules.

Ingredients:
Book 1/4 cup butter (I've adjusted this to 1/8 cup)
3/4 cup raw hazelnuts
1 egg
1/2 cup cane sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla

And THAT'S it! 

You will need to line a cookie sheet for sure. Use a silicon baking sheet or something of the like.  If you don't you won't be removing your cookies.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit with the rack in the middle.

Melt the butter. I did it in the microwave. Then set it aside.

In a food processor or chopper grind the hazelnuts until almost finely ground. I still had some small chunks in mine and it turned out okay but I don't think we need to go as far as trying to make flour.

In a bowl whisk an egg until frothy and then stir in the sugar and vanilla.  The book says to stir in the butter next BUT DON'T DO IT!  Instead add the hazelnuts and stir.  Next stir in the butter but add it gradually until the mixture creates a batter.  This is why I've adjusted my measurement to an 1/8 cup.  The first amount is just far too much and a batter doesn't form nicely.

Next, use two teaspoons to scoop out small amounts onto the cookie sheet.  A perfect amount is about a half of a teaspoon. 13 portions should fit on a cookies sheet evenly spaced.  Do not try to fit more as these cookies totally spread out and you'll have a mess like I did the first time.  Don't try to scoop them a different way either.

Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. 8 was the perfect timing for mine.  They will be a toasted colour around the edges when baked.  When you take them out of the oven let them cool on the baking rack for a bit then transfer them to a cooling rack until completely cooled.  This is where the silicon mat works well because you can lift it and peel the cookies off.

Once cooled they are exactly like in their name - crisp.



IF I were adventurous and had some good chocolate on hand or even Nutella I would try sandwiching the crisps together or in the very least drizzling them.  They are perfectly good on their own though.  It's suggested to have them with a cup of coffee or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.  I think I'm going to put the tea on to enjoy ours.

Happy baking!






2 comments:

  1. This awesome for people who like to bake,very insightful and instructive. Can you substitute Nutella for the hazelnuts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as we all love Nutella you cannot make that substitute because the ground hazelnuts replace the use of flour in this case. Thanks for the feedback!

      Delete